How does Buckminsterfullerene work?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Buckminsterfullerene, also known as bucky balls, has been studied for its potential to extend the lifespan of rats. This is due to its ability to inhibit a key enzyme in HIV. Although there is limited information available on its specific interaction with the body, it has shown potential for medical applications and further research is being conducted.
nukeman
I am trying to find out some info on Buckminsterfullerene. I don't know a whole lot about it, but all I tend to find on google is how its a potion of rich ladies to stop aging lol :)

I did read a study that it increased a rats life term.

But I would like to know WHAT about it makes the rats live longer. How does it interact with our body (or rather a rats body), that makes them live longer.

Thanks in advance all!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is Buckminsterfullerene?

Buckminsterfullerene, also known as C60 or Buckyballs, is a molecule composed of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape.

2. How does Buckminsterfullerene work?

Buckminsterfullerene is a type of fullerene, which is a type of spherical carbon molecule that can trap other atoms inside its structure. The unique shape of Buckminsterfullerene allows it to interact with other molecules in various ways, making it useful in many applications.

3. What are the properties of Buckminsterfullerene?

Buckminsterfullerene has many unique properties, including its high stability, low reactivity, and ability to conduct electricity. It also has a large surface area, making it useful for adsorption and catalysis.

4. How is Buckminsterfullerene synthesized?

Buckminsterfullerene can be synthesized in several ways, including by vaporizing carbon in an electric arc and by using a laser to vaporize graphite. It can also be produced naturally in small quantities by certain types of combustion.

5. What are the uses of Buckminsterfullerene?

Buckminsterfullerene has many potential uses in various fields, including electronics, medicine, and materials science. It is being researched for its potential as a drug delivery system, as a lubricant, and in solar cell technology.