How does bulk size impact the stability of a product during transit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Makeup Chemist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stability Transit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 4K views
Makeup Chemist
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
I have 2 bulks of emulsion (lotion, cream, yoghurt, sauce): 1kg and 0.030g. While in transit (plane and truck) the bigger bulk separated (oil pooled on top) and the smaller one stayed as is, with no changes to the appearance of the product.

In general, larger volumes of emulsion are more prone to instability and I understand the reason, but need some help in explaining it for a report. Something like stronger forces applied to the larger bulk and caused more stress, thus led to more strain?

Or do you think that in smaller volumes, the ratio of surface area to volume is higher?
Overall, what good engineering/physics explanation can anyone suggest here?

Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Temperature/thermal effects are usually(?) the culprits in "breaking" emulsions; smaller packages may be better insulated/more fluffily packed; less room to establish gradients. YMMV
 
Thank you, I can definitely add that aspect and elaborate more as I am familiar with it.
But I would like to know more about the impact of the shaking during transit as that part is more unfamiliar to me.
 
A lot may depend on the type of container: If it transfers vibration, especially resonant vibration, to contents, the frequency etc may induce separation / segregation rather than better dispersal...

Cue the old story of why eg Cornflakes and Muesli settle out faster in larger, 'Family Sized' packs...

You may need to cushion afflicted IBC with compliant mat / vibration isolators. IIRC, there are 'vanes' which may be fitted as internal dampers. Sorry, not my scene...