How Does Charge Distribution Affect Electrostatic Energy and Potential?

In summary, we have discussed three problems involving electrostatic energy and potential. The first problem involved finding the electrostatic energy of a system with four charges placed at the corners of a square. The answer was determined to be -4.7 J. In the second problem, we calculated the potential of a larger sphere given the potential and size of a smaller sphere. The correct answer was determined to be 200V. Finally, in the third problem, we used a FBD diagram and considered 6 pairs to determine the charge on a large sphere in equilibrium, which was found to be 2.0 x 10^-4 C.
gwenle1
1. Four charges are placed at the corners of the square where the opp diagonals have +2microcoulombs and -2 coulombs. what is the electrostatic energy of the system? ANS: -4.7 J

2. Two conducting spheres that carry equal charges are very far from each other and from all other charges. One of these spheres has twice the radius of the other one. If the potential of the smaller sphere (relative to infinity) is 100V, the potential of the arger sphere (relative to infinity) is closest to... ANS: 100V, 200V, 50V, 25V, or 400V

3. three conducting spheres of radii 1m, 2m and 3m are connected by wires 50 meters long in a triangle with the angles 60 degrees each. a charge of 4x10^-4 C is initially placed on teh large sphere. determine the charge on teh large sphere in equilibrium. ANS 2.0 x 10^-4

The attempt at a solution
1) I tried using PE = kq1q1/R... found the sides and the diagonals but I got an answer of zero, which is wrong.

2) I found the net energy of both spheres, and then used this energy with the given potential to find the potential of the larger sphere, but i think I am rearranging wrong?

3) i drew a FBD diagram and did horizontal and vertical components on teh larger sphere, but I got a much larger number as my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have 4C2 combinations to consider.
Two of these will be diagonally opposite pairs and all others will be adjacent pairs.

I have no idea why you would use combinations for my problems

Was just telling you there would be 6 pairs to consider.

Related to How Does Charge Distribution Affect Electrostatic Energy and Potential?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

3. What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and electric potential energy.

4. What factors affect an object's potential energy?

An object's potential energy is affected by its mass, height, and the strength of the force acting on it.

5. How is potential energy related to work and mechanical energy?

Potential energy is related to work as it is the energy that is transferred to an object when work is done on it. Mechanical energy is the sum of an object's potential and kinetic energy.