How Does Fermat's Little Theorem Apply to n^{39} \equiv n^3 (mod 13)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AryaSravaka
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exam Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
AryaSravaka
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Dear sir/madam
I have tried to do this question but can not figure it out. I gave up, but google gave me physicsforums site. I am very greatful and thanks for being genorous.

Thanks.
question is attached
 
Attachments
  • flt.png
    flt.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
What did you try already?? If you tell us where you're stuck, then we'll know how to help...

Sir, I really can not see any connection between this problem and FLT ..Pls give me some insight how to start out .. got 1day left :)
thanks
 
We know [itex]n^{13} \equiv n \ ( mod \ 13)[/itex], right? That's the theorem.

But we also know that if [itex]a' \equiv a \ ( mod \ m )[/itex] and [itex]b' \equiv b \ ( mod \ m )[/itex], then [itex]a'b' \equiv ab \ ( mod \ m )[/itex]. This implies

[tex]n^{39} \equiv n^3 \ (mod \ 13).[/tex]

But then what's another way to express this congruence? To say that [itex]n^{39}[/itex] is congruent to [itex]n^3[/itex] means 13 divides what?
 
stringy said:
We know [itex]n^{13} \equiv n \ ( mod \ 13)[/itex], right? That's the theorem.

But we also know that if [itex]a' \equiv a \ ( mod \ m )[/itex] and [itex]b' \equiv b \ ( mod \ m )[/itex], then [itex]a'b' \equiv ab \ ( mod \ m )[/itex]. This implies

[tex]n^{39} \equiv n^3 \ (mod \ 13).[/tex]

But then what's another way to express this congruence? To say that [itex]n^{39}[/itex] is congruent to [itex]n^3[/itex] means 13 divides what?


Dear Sir, Thanks very much for your time. Anyway FLT was not in the exam.. I had to do 4 questions but i did 6 questions... Well I passed it..Yehiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii


I am truly greatful
with metta