How does heat affect the efficiency and lifetime of LED strip lighting?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 485 views
cedricuk
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
How does increasing LED junction temperature affect light output and efficiency, and how much difference can proper heat dissipation, such as aluminium profiles, make in practical LED strip lighting?
I've been looking into the relationship between temperature and LED efficiency, particularly with LED strip lighting.

I understand that LEDs can become less efficient as their junction temperature increases, but I'm interested in the physics behind this effect. How does increasing junction temperature affect light output and electrical efficiency, and how significant is the effect in practical LED strip installations?

I'm also curious about how aluminium profiles or other forms of heat dissipation change the thermal behaviour of the LEDs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

cedricuk said:
TL;DR: How does increasing LED junction temperature affect light output and efficiency, and how much difference can proper heat dissipation, such as aluminium profiles, make in practical LED strip lighting?

I'm also curious about how aluminium profiles or other forms of heat dissipation change the thermal behaviour of the LEDs.
The efficiency and ultimate lifetime of an LED is dependent on the temperature of the junction during operation. Anything that can lower the junction temperature, will indirectly increase the light output and the device lifetime.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode_physics#Efficiency_droop
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode_physics#Lifetime_and_failure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LED_failure_modes#Semiconductor_and_metal_related
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lord Jestocost and berkeman