How Does Helium Affect the Fundamental Frequency of an Organ Pipe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kristibella
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Helium Pipe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 19K views
kristibella
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations


fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L


The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kristibella said:

Homework Statement


A certain organ pipe, open at both ends, produces a fundamental frequency of 291 Hz in air.

If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency fHe will it produce? Take the molar mass of air to be 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium to be 4.00 g/mol.

Homework Equations


fHe = v/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

[tex]\gamma[/tex] = 2 L

The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly, I have no idea what to do with this problem so I have no attempt. I was completely thrown off my the molar masses because I haven't seen a problem like this before. I'm not even sure if these are the right formulas for this problem.

The speed of sound will be different in helium from that of air.

For ideal gasses:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/sound/souspe3.html

For helium:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html#c5