How does Mathematica assign fractional powers to nth roots of unity?

  • Topic: Mathematica 
  • Thread starter Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematica
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
3
When I use Solve to solve for the roots of [itex]x^6+1=0[/itex], Mathematica returns the following roots:


[tex]i[/tex]
[tex]-i[/tex]
[tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{6}[/tex]
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex]
[tex](-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]

I realize these are derived from the nth roots of unity but I don't understand how Mathematica is assigning the various roots to the various fractional powers of 1/6 and 5/6. For example, if I had used [itex]x^7[/itex], then Mathematica returns values of -1 raised to 4/7, 5/7, and 6/7. How do I know what n-th root is being assigned to the power of 4/7 for example. I know I can evaluate it via N[] but I'd like to know the assignment scheme.

Anyone know?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
saltydog said:
When I use Solve to solve for the roots of [itex]x^6+1=0[/itex], Mathematica returns the following roots:


[tex]i[/tex]
[tex]-i[/tex]
[tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{6}[/tex]
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex]
[tex](-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]

I realize these are derived from the nth roots of unity but I don't understand how Mathematica is assigning the various roots to the various fractional powers of 1/6 and 5/6. For example, if I had used [itex]x^7[/itex], then Mathematica returns values of -1 raised to 4/7, 5/7, and 6/7. How do I know what n-th root is being assigned to the power of 4/7 for example. I know I can evaluate it via N[] but I'd like to know the assignment scheme.

Anyone know?
they are assigned by principle value. Like sqrt(4) means 2 normally. It is easier to when looking at the numbers in polar form where the angle is restricted to (-pi,pi]
thus
z=|z|exp(iArctan(Im(z)/Re(z))=r*exp(i a)=(r<a)
[tex]i[/tex]
=(1<pi/2)
[tex]-i[/tex]
=(1<-pi/2)
[tex](-1)^{\frac{1}{6}[/tex]
=(1<pi)^(1/6)
=(1<pi/6)
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex]
=-(1<pi/6)
=(1<-5pi/5)
[tex](-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]
=(1<pi)^(5/6)
=(1<5pi/6)
[tex]-(-1)^{\frac{5}{6}}[/tex]
=-(1<5pi/6)
=(1<-pi/6)
in other words to find the principle value of z^x for z complex and x real
write z=(r<a) with -pi<a<=pi
z^x=(r^a<x*a)
where x*a is reduced back into (-pi,pi] if needed.

note this is not something mathematica does just because. It is the standard convention for principle values of roots. That's why have the high school teachers who say the principle value cube root of -1 is -1 should be dunked in rotten cabage.
 
Last edited: