How does the kidney respond to eating salty food?

  • Thread starter Thread starter undertow
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
undertow
i'm going to show how the kidney responds to dehydration. I'm not sure if its right so please correct me of any errors.

Ok suppose u eat something salty like patato chips. The Na+ gets absorbed in the bloodstream causing the normal water concentration to go down. The lowering of the water concentration signals ADH which causes reabsorption of water from collecting tubule to the bloodstream. This reabsorpation then causes the water concentration the the bloodstream to go back up again.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I think that more than just the kidneys are involved in sodium regulation - even with non-functioning kidneys your body seems to be able to keep Na+ at around 140 mmol/litre. Now potassium that's a different matter.
 
I would like to know what's the difference between osomitc blood presure and blood pressure? are they the same thing?

I would also like to know how the body reacts to each?

I read that if osmotic blood pressure is high that means too much salt is in the blood and not enough water. If this is true what is causing the high blood pressure in "HIGH osomotic blood pressure"? I don't understand this because if there isn't enough water in the bloodstream than veins wouldn't be lareger than normal size. Wouldnt they infact be samller in size?
 
aren't aldosterone and renin involved in salt retention and blood pressure?
 
They are but I'm concerned with how someone can have high osomtic blood pressure which means(i think) not having enough water and too much salt. Wouldnt not having enough enough water in your blood NOT cause presure. Or...Does high osmotic pressure refer to what will happen: that the blood with try to retain more water to dilute all the Na in it(that makes sense to me). But then again...all that has to happen to begin with to solve this problem is to inhibit aldolsterone which will stop Na reabsorption...
 
I think the idea is that having high salt in the blood will osmotically pull more water into the blood from surrounding tissues, therefore increasing the volume of blood, therefore raising the pressure of the blood...