How does the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams relate to massless particles?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photon Propagator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Silviu
Messages
612
Reaction score
11
Hello! I have a question about the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. I am looking over a brief derivation (probably there are some details missing), so basically it starts from Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, then it assumes Lorentz condition and in the end it obtains: ##(-p^2g_{\mu\nu})A^\nu=0##, from which the propagator is ##-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{p^2}##. I understand the math, but I am a bit confused about the physics. So it starts with the Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, but the photon that is the propagator is off-shell (hence why p is different from 0) so it has mass. So how can you start from an equation for a massless particle and obtain a particle with mass?
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
Hello! I have a question about the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. I am looking over a brief derivation (probably there are some details missing), so basically it starts from Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, then it assumes Lorentz condition and in the end it obtains: ##(-p^2g_{\mu\nu})A^\nu=0##, from which the propagator is ##-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{p^2}##. I understand the math, but I am a bit confused about the physics. So it starts with the Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, but the photon that is the propagator is off-shell (hence why p is different from 0) so it has mass. So how can you start from an equation for a massless particle and obtain a particle with mass?
Thank you!
Off-shell means that the four momentum does *not* obey [itex]P^2 =m^2[/itex] so the fact that [itex]P^2 \neq 0[/itex] does not mean that it is massive, it is still massless.