How does the proof of L'Hopital's rule show that the limit is equal to A?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter modnarandom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    L'hopital's rule Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
modnarandom
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
I've been reading over the l'Hopital's rule proof here: http://www.math.uga.edu/~pete/2400diffmisc.pdf

For the first case of the proof, how does f(x)/g(x) <α imply the limit as x -> a is also A? I understand that α is an arbitrary number greater than A, which means that the limit is less than or equal to A. But I'm not sure why equals A. Does it have something to do with t?

Thank you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
modnarandom said:
I've been reading over the l'Hopital's rule proof here: http://www.math.uga.edu/~pete/2400diffmisc.pdf

For the first case of the proof, how does f(x)/g(x) <α imply the limit as x -> a is also A? I understand that α is an arbitrary number greater than A, which means that the limit is less than or equal to A. But I'm not sure why equals A. Does it have something to do with t?

Thank you!

You also have to have Step 2, as well. That shows that we can "trap" [itex]f(x)/g(x)[/itex] in some arbitrary interval about [itex]A[/itex].
 
Last edited by a moderator: