Finding resistivity from the y-intercept of an L/R vs. L graph

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deliria
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistivity Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Deliria
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
This is a suggested relationship between L/R and L

L/R = kl + A/P

P is the resistivity, A is the cross-sectional area and k is the constant for the circuit

Using the value of the y-intercept find a value for P with the appropriate unit

The graph of L/R against L had the intercept of 9 but I have no idea where that fits in. All I know is the answer must be in Ohms

How do I calculate P?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
L/R = kl + A/P

is in the form Y=MX+C

where C=A/p

from a graph of Y vs X, how would you find C?
 
If the graph of L/R (y) against L (x) has an intercept of 9, you mean it crosses the y-axis (where x=0) at 9
Therefore 9 = 0 + A/P, so A/P is 9, from the intercept we don't have any info about the slope 'k'

From this you can't separate resistivity and A - you could have a very narrow gold wire (low P) or a thick carbon (high P) one with the same resistance, ie the same P/A
 
Yes it crosses the y-axis at 9.
Is k the gradient?

I calculated A is 6.1 x 10⁻⁸ m² Is the equation possible now?