How far does the tip of the hour hand move in 3 hours?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter dtippitt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Clock hand
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dtippitt
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move in exactly 3 hours if the hour had is 2.00 cm long?

I think you are supposed to use arc length formula.

This is what I got so far:

s=r(radian symbol) = 3=1(radian symbol)
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Possible trignomery and distance formula

dtippitt said:
How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move in exactly 3 hours if the hour had is 2.00 cm long?

I think you are supposed to use arc length formula.

This is what I got so far:

s=r(radian symbol) = 3=1(radian symbol)

the hour hand of an analog clock moves 1/12 of a revolution in one hour.

one revolution is 2pi radians

$s = r \cdot \theta$

take it from here?
 
dtippitt said:
How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move in exactly 3 hours if the hour had is 2.00 cm long?

In 3 hours, the hour hand turns through a right angle, i.e. a quarter of a circle. What is a quarter of the circumference of a circle of radius 2 cm?