How Fast Is a Race Car After Traveling 200 Meters?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vaironl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
vaironl
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A race car starting from rest accelerates uniformly at a rate of [itex]4.90m/s^{2}[/itex] . What is the car's speed after it has traveled 200m?

Homework Equations



Δv = [itex]\frac{Change in position}{change in time}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


v=[itex]\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}[/itex]

=31.3m/s
 
Physics news on Phys.org
vaironl said:

Homework Statement


A race car starting from rest accelerates uniformly at a rate of [itex]4.90m/s^{2}[/itex] . What is the car's speed after it has traveled 200m?

Homework Equations



Δv = [itex]\frac{Change in position}{change in time}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


v=[itex]\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}[/itex]

=31.3m/s
Show your work so that we can help you see where your error is.

How did you get [itex]v=\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}\,?[/itex]
 
What kinematic formula are you using? It looks like you've missed out a constant.
 
SammyS said:
Show your work so that we can help you see where your error is.

How did you get [itex]v=\sqrt{980m^2/s^2}\,?[/itex]

gneill said:
What kinematic formula are you using? It looks like you've missed out a constant.

Well I'm required to find the speed after 200 meters, but I was never given any time.

So I assume... Which is not a good thing to do, multiplying the acceleration * the distanced travel would give me the speed.

But I really can't remember the actual equation.
 
vaironl said:
Well I'm required to find the speed after 200 meters, but I was never given any time.

So I assume... Which is not a good thing to do, multiplying the acceleration * the distanced travel would give me the speed.

But I really can't remember the actual equation.

If you can't remember you should check your notes or textbook! Your formula is close to being a valid kinematic expression,... but it's missing a constant. Do you have a list of the common kinematic expressions?
 
gneill said:
If you can't remember you should check your notes or textbook! Your formula is close to being a valid kinematic expression,... but it's missing a constant. Do you have a list of the common kinematic expressions?

I have the textbook, and I did have an example sheet but my friend borrowed to check her work. I found this expression which seems to satisfy my problem, v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

Therefore V2= 0m/s + 2(4.90m/s^2)(200m)

v2= 9.8m/s^2(200m)
v2= 1960m^2/s^2
v=[itex]\sqrt{1960m^2/s^2}[/itex]
v= 44.3m/s
 
vaironl said:
I have the textbook, and I did have an example sheet but my friend borrowed to check her work. I found this expression which seems to satisfy my problem, v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)

Therefore V2= 0m/s + 2(4.90m/s^2)(200m)

v2= 9.8m/s^2(200m)
v2= 1960m^2/s^2
v=[itex]\sqrt{1960m^2/s^2}[/itex]
v= 44.3m/s

That looks better :smile: