How feasible you think Nemesis theory is

• Thread starter Chewy0087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, some people came up with the idea that we're part of a dual-star system, and due to the movement of a red dwarf, it may affect the gravitational fields within the inner solar system, which could lead to more comets hitting Earth. There is no direct evidence for the "Nemesis" theory, but it's still a pretty cool theory.
Chewy0087
Hey guys, just wondering really how feasible you think Nemesis theory is?

For those of you not familiar with it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_Theory

To summarise, it's the theory that we're part of a dual-star system, ("nemesis & the sun), as opposed to the single one we think we have, and due to the 'orbiting'/movement of this red dwarf it may affect the gravitational fields within the inner solar system, meaning more comets etc hit earth, this is due to gravitational affect of this red dwarf 'messing around with' the gravitational effect of Jupiter which usually cleans up all of these comets before they enter the inner solar system.

Sorry if I've summarised it badly but anyway, my question is that is it an actual theory or just nonsense which could work?

I think it's a really cool theory, and would be pretty awesome if it's true :P, apart from the fact that a large percentage of species are wiped out when it comes! But anyway, I know it's a red dwarf but wouldn't we have spotted it?

Sorry for pestering i guess but that wikipedia article isn't very helpful & I couldn't find any good articles on it, surely it'd be quite a big thing? :eek:

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

i thought it was planet nibiru that was going to kill us all not some nemesis doomsday star :O hahahaha oh my.

as well many groups monitor any asteriods or comets that may come close to Earth i forgot the website to check them out ... but i believe the next time something comes close enough to merit 'observation' is in 2030 something and the chance of impact with Earth was liek 0.004% or something.

Last edited:

There is no direct evidence for Nemesis. It would be difficult for a star so close to evade detection. It would also be difficult for a star in such a wide orbit to have made so many passes without being perturbed by the gravity of nearby stars.

"Nibiru" is pseudoscience, plain and simple.

My biggest problem with the "Nemesis" theory is the period. It is claimed that it comes around every 26 million years causing mass-extinctions. Well obviously there would've been 2 visits almost 3 since the "Dinosaur killer" with no other mass extinction events of note. What happend? If I have miss or mis-understood some fact please clue me in, I find this confusing.

Chewy0087 said:
Sorry if I've summarised it badly but anyway, my question is that is it an actual theory or just nonsense which could work?

Some people came up with it in the 1980's. Once they came up with it, then people started looking for the brown dwarf. Haven't found it, and we are at the point where not finding something means that it probably doesn't exist.

I think it's a really cool theory, and would be pretty awesome if it's true :P, apart from the fact that a large percentage of species are wiped out when it comes! But anyway, I know it's a red dwarf but wouldn't we have spotted it?

Brown dwarf. With the data available in 1980, it could be there. With more data, almost certainly not.

1. How does the Nemesis theory explain the periodic mass extinctions on Earth?

The Nemesis theory proposes that there is a large, unseen companion star to our sun that orbits the solar system every 26 million years. As it passes through the outer solar system, it disturbs the Oort cloud, sending comets hurtling towards Earth and causing mass extinctions.

2. Is there any evidence to support the existence of Nemesis?

As of now, there is no conclusive evidence to support the existence of Nemesis. Scientists have searched for evidence through various methods, such as observing changes in the orbits of outer solar system objects or looking for infrared radiation, but none have yielded definitive proof.

3. How feasible is it for a companion star to have such a long orbit around the sun?

While it may seem unlikely for a companion star to have such a long orbit, it is not impossible. There are examples of binary star systems with very long orbital periods, and the existence of Nemesis would not violate any known laws of physics.

4. Could the Nemesis theory also explain other phenomena, such as the observed tilt of the sun's axis?

There is no evidence to suggest that Nemesis would cause the sun's axis to tilt. In fact, the tilt of the sun's axis is thought to be caused by interactions with the planets in our solar system. The Nemesis theory is solely focused on explaining the periodic mass extinctions on Earth.

5. If Nemesis does exist, could it pose a threat to Earth in the future?

Even if Nemesis were to exist, it is highly unlikely that it would pose a threat to Earth. Its orbit would keep it far enough away from our planet, and the chances of it causing a catastrophic event are extremely low. Additionally, there is no evidence to suggest that Nemesis would cause any harm to Earth in the first place.