How hard would Physics 2 be over a three month summer semester?

In summary, the individual is a freshman who is interested in studying physics but did not take the prerequisite course in the first semester. Their plan is to take Physics 1 next semester and Physics 2 over the summer semester, which is longer than a normal semester. They are wondering if taking physics over the summer will be more difficult than a regular semester. However, there is no reason to believe that it would be harder, as summer classes may actually be smaller and provide more individual attention.
jeremmed77
I am a freshmen who is interested in studying physics, but I did not take the first semester physics with my Calc 1 this semester. My plan is to take Physics 1 next semester and Physics 2 over the summer semester. The summer semester is longer then a normal one because it is about three months long(May 20-ish to August 20-ish). The lectures are Monday-Friday for fifty minutes if that helps at all. Would it be more difficult than a normal semester Physics? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason why taking physics over the summer would be harder.

In fact, at a lot of schools, summer classes are smaller than regular fall/spring classes and students are given more individual attention, thus making summer classes easier than fall or spring classes. At least that's what I've heard.

1. How does the difficulty of Physics 2 compare to other physics courses?

Physics 2 is typically considered more difficult than introductory physics courses, but not as challenging as advanced physics courses. It covers a wide range of topics and requires a strong foundation in math and physics principles.

2. Is it possible to complete Physics 2 over a three month summer semester?

Yes, it is possible to complete Physics 2 over a three month summer semester. However, it may require a more intensive study schedule and dedication as the course material is condensed.

3. What are the key topics covered in Physics 2?

Physics 2 covers topics such as electricity and magnetism, wave behavior, optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also builds upon concepts from Physics 1, such as Newton's laws of motion and kinematics.

4. What are some tips for success in Physics 2 over a summer semester?

Some tips for success in Physics 2 over a summer semester include staying organized, regularly reviewing material, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and practicing problem-solving techniques.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking Physics 2 over a summer semester?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before taking Physics 2. Additionally, completion of Physics 1 or a similar introductory physics course is typically required.