Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How is the von Klitzing constant used to measure resistance?

1. Dec 22, 2016 #1
    How is the constant used to measure resistance? I can't find a clear answer anywhere. The constant is h/e^2 but that doesn't really help in seeing how it is linked to resistance other than the units being the same in base units.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    Thanks,

All I know is that it is linked to the quantum Hall effect and is used in a Watt balance that is then used to measure the current. It uses the Von klitzing constant to measure the resistance but I just don't undertand how it works. I don't exactly need all the gritty details as a whole, just for the Watt balance if possible. It's also linked to something known as 'conventional electrical units' which is only used for the Josephon constant (that I understand) and the Von Klitzing constant as units of measurement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted