How is the von Klitzing constant used to measure resistance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Harisk
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
How is the constant used to measure resistance? I can't find a clear answer anywhere. The constant is h/e^2 but that doesn't really help in seeing how it is linked to resistance other than the units being the same in base units.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,

All I know is that it is linked to the quantum Hall effect and is used in a Watt balance that is then used to measure the current. It uses the Von klitzing constant to measure the resistance but I just don't undertand how it works. I don't exactly need all the gritty details as a whole, just for the Watt balance if possible. It's also linked to something known as 'conventional electrical units' which is only used for the Josephon constant (that I understand) and the Von Klitzing constant as units of measurement.
 
Hi Harisk,
I realize that this is +1 year old post and I'm not sure whether you found the answer you were searching for, but I will post the answer anyway.
Quantum Hall Effect is an exciting topic with a bunch of weird phenomenons.
Von Klitzing constant or Hall Resistance at a filling factor=1 is considered one of the most important factors (if not the most), it is discovered that it is quantized with extremely high precision (1 in billionth) at a specific energy state (Landau Level) due to high magnetic field. Hall Resistance can be used to find hall mobility thus material conductance mobility and find carrier type and density.