How is this equation for <x|P|x'> derived?

• Thread starter baouba
  • Start date
In summary: The third line reads as$$\langle x | x'\rangle \left[ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x'^n}{n!} \frac{\partial^n V(X)}{\partial X^n} \right]$$
baouba
Image: http://imgur.com/pynKr8q

How is the boxed equation arrived at when looking at the step before?

I think I need clarification on a few key ideas:

in words, does < x | p | ψ > mean, "The momentum operator acting on the state vector, then projected onto the position basis"? If so, wouldn't that mean there would always be a factor of iћ since [x,p] = iћ?

Furthermore, is the reason the integral of |x'><x'| there just so you get <x'|ψ> and project ψ to the x' basis. I know it equals and identity matrix but can you do this?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
baouba said:
How is the boxed equation arrived at when looking at the step before?
I don't think you can get it from the equation above, but rather from the equation below. For eq. (75) to hold, which it should given the definition of ##\hat{P}## as a differential operator and ##\psi(x) = \langle x | \psi \rangle##, then you need eq. (74) to be true.

baouba said:
in words, does < x | p | ψ > mean, "The momentum operator acting on the state vector, then projected onto the position basis"? If so, wouldn't that mean there would always be a factor of iћ since [x,p] = iћ?
Yes, and the factor of iћ is there.

baouba said:
Furthermore, is the reason the integral of |x'><x'| there just so you get <x'|ψ> and project ψ to the x' basis. I know it equals and identity matrix but can you do this?
The author is inserting the identity operator between ##\hat{P}_x## and ##\psi##, which you always do and the result should be unchanged. This is how the value of ##\langle x | \hat{P}_x | x' \rangle## can be figured out.

Thanks for the reply!

DrClaude said:
This is how the value of x|P̂ x|x⟨x|P^x|x′⟩\langle x | \hat{P}_x | x' \rangle can be figured out.

but the whole reason we need to figure out < x | Px | x' > in the first place is because the identity operator is inserted. What's the point?

Also how to do you do this derivation step by step? I'm very confused I think my prof. is skipping steps
: http://imgur.com/tl07k5g

baouba said:
but the whole reason we need to figure out < x | Px | x' > in the first place is because the identity operator is inserted. What's the point?
It seems like the sentence above is more logical if it were written as
"but the whole reason we can figure out < x | Px | x' > in the first place is because the identity operator is inserted".
The reason why the author needs to figure out ##\langle x|\hat{P}_x|x'\rangle## is because he wants to make the reader know how this quantity looks like, and also possibly because its equivalent form being sought will be needed in the other derivations to come, it is not because the identity operator is inserted.

baouba said:
Also how to do you do this derivation step by step? I'm very confused I think my prof. is skipping steps
: http://imgur.com/tl07k5g
To me, the presented steps look sufficiently complete. Which particular part of this derivation you can't understand?

blue_leaf77 said:
It seems like the sentence above is more logical if it were written as
"but the whole reason we can figure out < x | Px | x' > in the first place is because the identity operator is inserted".
The reason why the author needs to figure out ##\langle x|\hat{P}_x|x'\rangle## is because he wants to make the reader know how this quantity looks like, and also possibly because its equivalent form being sought will be needed in the other derivations to come, it is not because the identity operator is inserted.To me, the presented steps look sufficiently complete. Which particular part of this derivation you can't understand?
Thanks for replying. The 2nd line to the 3rd line is where I get lost.

The second line reads as
$$
\langle x | \left[ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x'^n}{n!} \frac{\partial^n V(X)}{\partial X^n} \right] |x'\rangle
$$
The factor in the big square bracket is now just a number/scalar, it's not an operator anymore like it was in the first line. Therefore, you can bring ##|x'\rangle## out to the left till it meets ##\langle x|##, leaving you with the expression
$$
\langle x | x'\rangle \left[ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x'^n}{n!} \frac{\partial^n V(X)}{\partial X^n} \right]
$$
Note that the factor in the square bracket is the Taylor expansion of a scalar ##V(x')##. So you obtain the third line.

blue_leaf77 said:
The second line reads as
$$
\langle x | \left[ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x'^n}{n!} \frac{\partial^n V(X)}{\partial X^n} \right] |x'\rangle
$$
The factor in the big square bracket is now just a number/scalar, it's not an operator anymore like it was in the first line. Therefore, you can bring ##|x'\rangle## out to the left till it meets ##\langle x|##, leaving you with the expression
$$
\langle x | x'\rangle \left[ \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x'^n}{n!} \frac{\partial^n V(X)}{\partial X^n} \right]
$$
Note that the factor in the square bracket is the Taylor expansion of a scalar ##V(x')##. So you obtain the third line.

but the 3rd line has <x'|x> not <x|x'>. Am I missing something?

baouba said:
but the 3rd line has <x'|x> not <x|x'>. Am I missing something?
Ah you are right, I must have missed that part. Fortunately, that's not a big trouble because ##\langle x|x' \rangle = \delta(x-x') = \delta(x'-x) = \langle x'|x \rangle##.

I've not followed the entire discussion, but perhaps, the following helps (I'm setting ##\hbar=1## for simplicity)
$$\langle x|\hat{p}|x' \rangle=\int \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{(2 \pi)} \langle{x}|\hat{p}|p \rangle \langle p|x' \rangle=\int \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{(2 \pi)} \exp[\mathrm{i} p (x-x')] p = -\mathrm{i} \partial_x \int \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{(2 \pi)} \exp[\mathrm{i} p(x-x')]=-\mathrm{i} \partial_x \delta(x-x')=+\mathrm{i} \partial_{x'} \delta(x-x').$$
Now you can use it to determine the momentum operator in position representation on an arbitrary Hilbert-space vector (in the domain of the momentum operator!):
$$\hat{p} \psi(x):=\langle x|\hat{p} \psi \rangle=\int \mathrm{d} x' \langle x|\hat{p}|x' \rangle \psi(x')=\int \mathrm{d} x' \psi(x') \mathrm{i} \partial_{x'} \delta(x-x') = \int \mathrm{d} x' (-\mathrm{i} \partial_{x'}) \psi(x') \cdot \delta(x-x')=-\mathrm{i} \partial_x \psi(x).$$

1. How do you determine the variables in the equation for ?

The variables in this equation are determined through mathematical modeling and experimentation. Scientists may use various techniques such as statistical analysis, data collection, and hypothesis testing to determine the most relevant variables to include in the equation.

2. What is the purpose of using the equation in scientific research?

The equation is used to describe the relationship between two or more variables in a scientific context. It allows scientists to make predictions, test hypotheses, and gain a deeper understanding of the phenomenon being studied.

3. Can the equation be applied to different scenarios or is it specific to one particular situation?

The equation can be applied to various scenarios, as long as the variables and conditions are similar. However, it may need to be modified or adjusted for different situations in order to accurately represent the relationship between the variables.

4. How do you validate the accuracy of the equation ?

The accuracy of the equation can be validated through rigorous testing and validation processes. This may include comparing the predicted values from the equation to actual data, conducting experiments to test its predictions, and peer review by other scientists in the field.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with using the equation ?

Like any scientific model, the equation is based on certain assumptions and may have limitations. These may include simplifying complex systems, assuming certain relationships between variables, or only being applicable under certain conditions. It is important for scientists to be aware of these limitations and adjust their use of the equation accordingly.