How Long Does It Take a Pulse to Travel Across a Ravine When a Rope is Plucked?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dsptl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quantitative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 9K views
dsptl
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
A rope with a total mass of 25.0 kg is tied to a tree on one side of a 125 meter wide ravine, and you're pulling on the other end of the rope with a force of 415 N. If you pluck the rope, how long will it take the pulse to travel across the ravine to the tree?

Please Help me out
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes I have already tried that and I got 2.74sec but in MasteringPhysics it gives me wrong...

help me out
 
So, u = 25/125 = 1/5 kg/m
So, T = sqrt(415 kg m/s^2 / (1/5 kg/m)) = sqrt( 415*5 m^2/s^2) = sqrt(2075) m/s = 45.55 m/s

then I did t = d/v = 125m/45.55m/s = 2.74sec
 
Your calculation looks correct. I can only suggest that there is a question of precision in accepting your answer.
 
i have only one trial left and i don't want to take risk...please suggest me an answer