Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long for a potassium atom to become an ion again

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    If we do electrolysis, using a potassium electrolyte in water, the Na+ ions turn into Na atoms at the cathode. The question is, how long, on average, will it take for the Na atom to react with water and form a Na+ ion again?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2
    I think your question needs clarifying. Is it potassium or sodium you're referring to? And please check the type electrolyte needed in order to deposit the metal at the cathode.

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure about that mechanism? Metallic Na is never produced in the presence of water, instead, water directly reacts on the electrode producing hydrogen.

5. Aug 3, 2017 #4
    Basically what I need is lots of bosons created for a very short time and then turn into fermions. I presumed, if I do electrolysis of sodium bicarbonate, that sodium atoms would be produced at the cathode as an intermediate product, before reacting with water and producing hydrogen.

6. Aug 3, 2017 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what you are doing, but you are definitely on the wrong track.

7. Aug 3, 2017 #6
    I guess I'll have to jiggle Copper ions. Jiggling bosons might be as good as creating/destroying them for my purposes. Maybe if I wrap a roll of Aluminium foil with paper and attach it to mobile phone antenna it'll be good enough. Don't know whether to also include "ground" foil roll. All in copper sulphate solution.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Aug 3, 2017 #7
    Uh i got it. Lithium-6 ions are created and destroyed in a lithium battery, and they are bosons.

9. Aug 3, 2017 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, it is definitely to hot outside!

10. Aug 3, 2017 #9

DrDu

Science Advisor

"Over conceits of this sort the poor gentleman lost his wits, and used to lie awake striving to understand them and worm the meaning out of them;"
    MIguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote de la Mancha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook