Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long will people continue to talk about Michael Jackson?

1. Aug 11, 2009 #1
    It seems like people are going crazy now that he died. Most of the people that are going insane over it didn't care about him until he died.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Aug 11, 2009 #3
    Look who's talking

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4
    That was all you had to say?

6. Aug 11, 2009 #5
    Who is Michael Jackson :confused:

7. Aug 11, 2009 #6
    Yes, it is ironic that you would make a post with no purpose other than to express frustration in people who cannot like the subject of Jackson die -- when the only person around here who falls into that criteria is you.

8. Aug 11, 2009 #7
    He was only just buried. Also the coroners report has yet to be filed and seems quite likely that this is because they suspect one of his doctors is guilty of malpractice and they are currently investigating it.

So the issue of his death isn't even closed yet really.

Are you serious Root?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 12, 2009 #8
    Another drug addict entertainer dies.
    Sorry for his family and all, but I don't really care.

10. Aug 12, 2009 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Nice. I wish I could have your compassion.

11. Aug 17, 2009 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last summer my friend and I requested MJ songs every night at the club.

12. Aug 17, 2009 #11
    Last summer I don't think I heard a single Micheal Jackson song.

13. Aug 17, 2009 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He's going to be like every other bigger than life personality (Elvis) and his legend will live on. I can only imagine when the MJ impersonators will hit Vegas.

Rumour has it that Paula Abdul quit her job on Idol to be the first MJ impersonator.

Attached Files:

14. Aug 17, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I wish people didn't deify celebrities.

15. Aug 17, 2009 #14
    Hopefully after they bury him...in another 2 weeks???

http://new.music.yahoo.com/michael-jackson/news/michael-jackson39s-dad-says-burial-set-for-august-29-report--61720652 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Aug 17, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hear, hear. I have no idea what the fascination is.

17. Aug 17, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which one is Paula?

18. Aug 17, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a word, influence. I think there is also a sense of personal connection for many people who are moved by his music or lyrics. A number of leaders from the black community often refer to his universal appeal; across all cultures. He is widely credited with unifying many different cultures through music.

His fame in Africa is apparently due in large part to his humanitarian/philanthropical works. And I guess he will be remembered at least as long as the Michael Jackson Burn Center operates.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  19. Aug 18, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's wrong with treating such celebrities as god-like figures? After all, MJ provided inspiration to many people around the world, through things that he actually did and lived out in front of them. That's surely more real than worshipping "gods" you've never seen.

20. Aug 18, 2009 #19
    http://www.michaeljackson.hu/htmlitems/covers/cds/michaeljackson/%5B2006-05-19%5D%20Heal%20The%20World.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Aug 18, 2009 #20
    Well there is the problem with people having perhaps an unrealistic image of the person. Bing Crosby was a drunkard and an abusive father. His sons had to deal with the fact that the man who abused them was loved and revered by most everyone who knew his name. I'd imagine that would be difficult to deal with.

Its just pretty rediculous to deify a person whom you really know nothing about. And who knows what may happen because of it. What might a famous person get away with? What have many many famous people gotten away with? There are also dangers to the people themselves. How many crazy stalkers has Jodie Foster had?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook