Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long until the left labels Zell Miller a traitor?

1. Sep 1, 2004 #1
    How long until the left labels Zell Miller a traitor??

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&u=/ap/20040902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_miller_text_1&printer=1

No cliff notes, It's worth reading all of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I think they've been calling him a traitor for several years now.

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That speech made me want to reverse peristalize.

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4

Gza

If the tables were turned, and Mr. Miller were a republican that really had his alleigances with the democratic party, i'd still see him in a Bendict- Arnoldian light. How can you take someone like this seriously?

6. Sep 2, 2004 #5
    "How long until the left labels Zell Miller a traitor??"

About the same amount of time it would have taken for the right to label McCain a traitor if he had spoken at the DNC denouncing the failings of George Bush the Republicans as a whole.

P.S. Where did you find the entire text of Miller's speech, I'd be interested to find the texts of some other events at the RNC.

7. Sep 2, 2004 #6
    I can't fault the Left for calling Miller a traitor. I don't think he is, but I can certainly see why they would think so.

8. Sep 2, 2004 #7
    No more than McCain, who is open about bashing his own part when it falls out of line and doesn't try to hide is friendship with John Kerry.

Zell has been the image of bipartisanship for a long time. A call for bipartisanship and condemning your party for getting out of line is not unique to Miller alone.
    I await true conservatism to return to Washington myself. But that's another matter.

9. Sep 2, 2004 #8
    While McCain hasn't spoken at the DNC, he has done everything else Miller has. And in response he's got conservatives, including myself, wishing he was running in place of Bush.

Found it on news.google.com

10. Sep 2, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...you seem to forget that the right (Bush and his cronies) labeled McCain as a traitor, over 4 years ago. Wait, 'labeled' is a euphemism. They simply called him a Commie traitor (since after Bush lost New Hampshire).

The same McCain, who 4 years ago yelled at Bush to "get your hands off me" when Bush grabbed his hand to shake it, it now going all out in support of Bush. For what ? A deal on 2008 ? A high Cabinet position (Sec State) in 2004 ? :confused:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  11. Sep 2, 2004 #10

kat

Gee Wiz...are you questioning McCains Integrity?! :surprised

12. Sep 3, 2004 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would appear Republicans are backing away from Miller's comments even faster than Democrats can attack them.

13. Sep 3, 2004 #12
    Which is a real shame IMO.

14. Sep 3, 2004 #13
    I don't think he's a traitor...he was just an idiot for being in the wrong party (among other reasons).

Zell proved what a fool he is when he said that he wished that he could challenge Chris Matthews to a duel (I'm ****ing serious--he did that!).

15. Sep 4, 2004 #14

Gza

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  16. Sep 4, 2004 #15
    Why don't you spell this out, instead of hinting at it.
    Yes he did that, and it was hilarious.

17. Sep 4, 2004 #16

1> It's a poor way to either make fun of the people that agree with what Miller said, or a poor way to try to make a point. God forbid we speak in something besided rhetoric.

2>Well, there's the response from the left I guess. "Zell was so angry,that makes him wrong" , "ahahaha, he was sooooo angry, did you see that?!?"
    I can't wait until someone will start actually debating Miller's statements, rather than the cheap shot of attacking him for being angry.

NYtimes did an OP ed piece (by the oh so wonderful Paul Krugman) that shows they too fall inline with the rest of the left so far in the "hurry up and point out how angry Zell was, and how that makes him a lunatic"

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/03/opinion/03krugman.html

If one agrees with the statement by Miller, which I do, then the bolded question has an answer - I don't like politics being played with MY safety.

This writer is an *******, who in that very line somehow took Miller's very valid concern, and one that everyone should be angry about (and at people on either side of the fence that play such politics), and washed over it to make some political bash against Republicans because of Miller's 'emotion' at that time.
    Why discuss whether political games are being played, when you can just write an article that proves they are. Milller became enemy number one when he stood up for what he believed in.It's disgusting. I was happy when McCain voiced his unhappiness with attacking Kerry as a veteran. I am just as happy to see Miller stand up and say that national security is not an issue that politics should decide.

18. Sep 4, 2004 #17
    Zell Miller, paraphrased:

"Damn the Democrats for wanting (having a manic obsession for) an election while we're at war."
    "John Kerry wants to defend the nation with spitballs." (Zell might want to check out factcheck.org...)
    "Let's duel at high noon!"

19. Sep 4, 2004 #18

Gza

ummmm...chill out dude. I just thought it was lighthearted and funny. No need to be :mad: about it.

20. Sep 5, 2004 #19
    Again, I can't wait until someone will start actually debating Miller's statements, rather than the cheap shot of attacking him for being angry.

21. Sep 5, 2004 #20
    So we are going to start paraphrasing to twist what he said? I posted the whole speech for so you don't have to make up things. It's there, verbatim in the first post.

Saying that politics is being played with National security is NOT the same as saying "vote for GW Bush just because we can't switch leaders right now".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?