How many 6-digit numbers greater than 800,000 from digits 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 8?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Format
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
I had mono while this unit was being taught so I am havin quite a lot of trouble figurin this homework out. Like this question:

How many 6 digit numbers greater than 800 000 can be made from the digits 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 8?

I have absolutly no idea so any help would be appriciated! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Format said:
I had mono while this unit was being taught so I am havin quite a lot of trouble figurin this homework out. Like this question:

How many 6 digit numbers greater than 800 000 can be made from the digits 1, 1, 5, 5, 5, 8?

I have absolutly no idea so any help would be appriciated! Thanks!
Because numbers must be greater than (800,000), the first digit must be 8. The number of different arrangements of the remaining 5 digits, consisting of 2-(1)'s and 3-(5)'s is given by:
{Number Arrangements} = (5!)/{(2!)*(3!)} = (10)


~~
 
Last edited:
ah ok i was tryin something like that, but i didnt realize brackets were necessary. Thankyou!