How many aluminum atoms can line up across a page?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathcoral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atoms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mathcoral
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The radius of an aluminum atom is about 140 picometers. How many spherical aluminum atoms could line up across a page of paper?The paper's width is 21.59 cm. Converting to picometers, the width is 2.159 x 1011 pm

I used the ratio of width of the page in picometers divided by the diameter of the aluminum atom

(2.159 x 1011pm)/(280pm)

I got 7.71x108 aluminum atoms.
I am not sure if this is the answer.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathcoral said:
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The radius of an aluminum atom is about 140 picometers. How many spherical aluminum atoms could line up across a page of paper?The paper's width is 21.59 cm. Converting to picometers, the width is 2.159 x 1011 pm

I used the ratio of width of the page in picometers divided by the diameter of the aluminum atom

(2.159 x 1011pm)/(280pm)

I got 7.71x108 aluminum atoms.
I am not sure if this is the answer.
Looks good to me.

-Dan