How many elementary particles are there?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am confused. I thought that the standard model included 6 quarks and 6 antiquarks, 6 leptons and 6 antileptons and 5 bosons (W+,W-,Z,photon,gluon).

However in Griffith's "Introduction to Elementary Particles" (on page 48) he says that there are "12 leptons, 36 quarks, 12 mediators".

I am thinking of the t,b,u,d,s,c and their antiparticles for the quarks.

So can someone please account for the remaining 24 quarks and the remaining 7 bosons?

Answers and Replies

So can someone please account for the remaining 24 quarks and the remaining 7 bosons?
Color is as good a charge as electric charge. You miss a factor 3 on quarks, and a factor 9 on gluons minus one color scalar gluon.

Higg's Boson and graviton are the only other fundamental bosons I've heard of, and they're not even verified yet.

Oh, if you count the 8 gluons it works out. Der...

Higg's Boson and graviton are the only other fundamental bosons I've heard of, and they're not even verified yet.
As mentioned by the OP, the photon, the Ws and the Z are other gauge bosons. Those are established beyond doubt.

Yeah, I wish I could have deleted that post. For the future, I promise to be less impulsive.