Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many elementary particles are there?

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    I am confused. I thought that the standard model included 6 quarks and 6 antiquarks, 6 leptons and 6 antileptons and 5 bosons (W+,W-,Z,photon,gluon).

However in Griffith's "Introduction to Elementary Particles" (on page 48) he says that there are "12 leptons, 36 quarks, 12 mediators".

I am thinking of the t,b,u,d,s,c and their antiparticles for the quarks.

So can someone please account for the remaining 24 quarks and the remaining 7 bosons?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    Color is as good a charge as electric charge. You miss a factor 3 on quarks, and a factor 9 on gluons minus one color scalar gluon.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    Higg's Boson and graviton are the only other fundamental bosons I've heard of, and they're not even verified yet.

Oh, if you count the 8 gluons it works out. Der...

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    As mentioned by the OP, the photon, the Ws and the Z are other gauge bosons. Those are established beyond doubt.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    Yeah, I wish I could have deleted that post. For the future, I promise to be less impulsive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?