How many equations does a physicist write in his lifetime?

In summary: How do we measure the quantity of physics used in a certain situation?In summary, a physicist writes on average about one million equations in their lifetime. There is no definitive statistics on this, but it is likely correlated with the physicist's contribution to physics.
arpon
How many equations does a physicist write in his/her lifetime on average? Is there any approximate statistics on this?
Also how much is this correlated to his/her contribution to physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
arpon said:
How many equations does a physicist write in his/her lifetime on average? Is there any approximate statistics on this?

No. The APS or AIP, for example, never asked for such a survey question.

So what you are asking for requires complete speculation. Besides, of all the parameters that can be associated with a physicist's career, why would this particular statistics matter?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Besides, of all the parameters that can be associated with a physicist's career, why would this particular statistics matter?
I thought writing more equations means spending more time on physics.

arpon said:

Really? Do you discount a huge population of experimental physicists who often go off to build something rather than spend time "writing more equations"?

And look at a physics paper, for example. Often times, many things are referred to simply by words, but the underlying mathematical form of the physics is there without having to "write more equations." If I said that "we solve this via Gauss's law", did that count as "writing down an equation"?

And besides, how do you count this? Do you count each UNIQUE equations? Do you discount derivation of an equation? Do you discount all the equations that are part of the steps of getting from one place to the next? Do you discount equations that are used to simply define quantities? If I can do a bunch of steps in my head and not have to write it down, did I diminish my "equation count" because I simply skipped a few steps?

Your original premise has no correlation to what you think it should imply. If I were you, I'd be more concern that I am not applying the basic tenets of physics in deriving my conjecture. This is what you are doing.

Zz.

arpon said:
About a million.

Now without joking: Counting equations means counting equality signs. But often you sketch situations, omit the equality sign on scratches, or even write more than those which might appear in a final paper. And what about estimations ##\approx##, ##\gtrless## signs or mapping arrows? Isn't the actual work done left or right of these signs?

This hopefully will show you how inappropriate your measure is. The commonly used measure is the number of publications or the number of citations for which rankings exist - as far as I know. But even this is a questionable measure. I don't know where e.g. Andrew Wiles ranks in these statistics, but nevertheless, he is the man who solved a problem more than 350 years old. Or Perelman? Or Galois? There is basically only one important paper from Galois, but it founded an entire theory. And measured by this quite modern method, even Einstein probably wouldn't be very high ranking. And as always in life, the quality weighs heavier than the quantity.

The question becomes even more complicated in even defining what a physicist is: is it someone, like a general engineer, who knows physics but is not trained as a physicist? Is it someone who is not professionally -trained but uses physics in their work, like a sound technician, electrician, etc?

1. How many equations does a physicist typically write in their lifetime?

This can vary greatly depending on the specific field of physics, the individual physicist's research focus, and their level of productivity. However, on average, a physicist may write hundreds or even thousands of equations in their lifetime.

2. How long does it take to write an equation as a physicist?

The time it takes for a physicist to write an equation can also vary greatly. Some equations may be relatively simple and take only a few minutes to write, while others may require extensive research and mathematical calculations, taking hours or even days to complete.

3. Do all physicists write their own equations?

No, not all physicists write their own equations. Some may use existing equations from other scientists' work, while others may collaborate with colleagues to develop new equations. Additionally, some physicists may focus more on experimental work rather than theoretical equations.

4. How important are equations in physics research?

Equations are essential tools in physics research as they allow scientists to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems and phenomena. Without equations, it would be challenging to explain and understand the laws and principles that govern the natural world.

5. Are equations the only way physicists communicate their findings?

No, equations are not the only way physicists communicate their findings. They may also use graphs, diagrams, and written explanations to convey their research results. However, equations are a fundamental and widely used form of communication in the field of physics.