How Many Fragments Are Found Within 10 Kilometers of a Volcanic Eruption?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
radeksrat
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Not really a homework question, but a problem I don't get nonetheless.



The density of fragments lying x kilometers from the center of a volcanic eruption is given by:

D(r) = 1/[sqrt(x) +2] fragments per square kilometer. To 3 decimal places, how many fragments will be found within 10 kilometers of the eruption's center?



I thought I was supposed to integrate the function from 0 to 100*pi, and in doing so I got 26.294, (I got 2[sqrt(x) - 2*ln(sqrt(x)+2)] when i integrated the function) but the answer was given to me as 70.424. The answer could very well be wrong, but I don't know that it is. What, if anything, am I doing wrong here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
in cylindrical coordinates the integral of the density gives the distribution.
In this case the problem requires integrating over an area thus we have a double integral. In polar form J = int(int(f(r,theta)*r*dr)*dtheta) With the appropriate limits. Then J = int(int(1/(sqrt(x)+2),x) from 0 to 10,theta from 0 to 2pi) The result is simpler because theta does not appear inside the integral. The result is 2*pi*int(1/(sqrt(x)+2),x) from 0 to 10. That should be your answer
 
I'm not sure what you mean by ,x) abercrombie, but to be clear, the integral is
[tex]\int_{0}^{2 \pi}\int_{0}^{10} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x}+2} dx d\theta[/tex]
because of the jacobian x.