How many functions are there from A to B

• Thread starter tysonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, there are 8 possible functions from A to B when there are no restrictions on the function. This is determined by taking the number of elements in B (2) and raising it to the power of the number of elements in A (3), resulting in 8 possible combinations. However, when listing these functions, one may mistakenly count only 7, as one of the combinations is the same as the original set.
tysonk
How many functions are possible from A to B?

A={a,b,c}
B={x,y}

When I did this by counting the possible functions I could only find 7. But the "uncommon" 7 makes me feel like I missed a case. If someone could confirm that would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, how did you get "7"?

Since there are no restrictions on the function, such as "one-to-one" or "onto", a can be mapped into either x or y, so can b, and so can c so there are clearly [itex]2^3= 8[/itex] such functions. Are you saying that you tried to list them and only got 7?

I get:
{(a, x), (b, x), (c, x)}
{(a, x), (b, x), (c, y)}
{(a, x), (b, y), (c, x)}
{(a, x), (b, y), (c, y)}
{(a, y), (b, x), (c, x)}
{(a, y), (b, x), (c, y)}
{(a, y), (b, y), (c, x)}
{(a, y), (b, y), (c, y)}

members of B power members of A

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a relation between two sets, where each input from the first set (domain) is uniquely mapped to an output in the second set (codomain).

How many functions are there from A to B?

The number of functions from set A to set B is equal to BA, where A is the number of elements in the domain and B is the number of elements in the codomain.

What is the difference between one-to-one and onto functions?

A one-to-one function is a type of function where each input from the domain maps to a unique output in the codomain. An onto function is a type of function where every element in the codomain has at least one corresponding element in the domain.

Is it possible to have more than one function from A to B?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one function from A to B. As long as the mapping between the two sets is unique, any combination of elements from the domain can be mapped to elements in the codomain to create a different function.

Can the number of functions from A to B be infinite?

Yes, the number of functions from A to B can be infinite if the sets A and B contain infinite elements. This is because there are infinite ways to map the elements from the domain to the codomain.