How many people can you recognise in this photo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Farang
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Farang
Messages
18
Reaction score
7
I recognise Dirac and Schrödinger only. Can you name others?

dirac.jpeg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Photograph taken in Dublin in 1942, and showing in the front row (left) theoretical physicist Dr Sheila Tinney with Nobel physicist Paul Dirac (3rd from left), Taoiseach Éamon de Valera (centre) and Prof Erwin Schrödinger (second from right)."
 
So not Kapitsa then, he would have been back in Russia by then.
Since the photo was taken in 1942 is sort of rules out most of the famous physicists of the time; they were either already working in Los Alamos, on the opposing side of the war (Heisenberg&co) or not able to travel for other obvious reasons (Kaptisa, Landau..).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Farang
BTW, I cheated. Dropped the image onto Google Images. Handy way to get information about an image.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
Noisy Rhysling said:
"Photograph taken in Dublin in 1942, and showing in the front row (left) theoretical physicist Dr Sheila Tinney with Nobel physicist Paul Dirac (3rd from left), Taoiseach Éamon de Valera (centre) and Prof Erwin Schrödinger (second from right)."

Apart from Dirac, Schrödinger, and Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) de Valera, I also recognize Irish mathematician Dr. Arthur W. Conway (front row, 5th from left), who was also President of University College Dublin from 1940 to 1947, corresponding to the time this photo was taken.

Here is some biographical entries of him online:

http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Biographies/Conway_Arthur.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_W._Conway
 
Farang said:
I recognise Dirac and Schrödinger only. Can you name others?
Yes, I recognize Dirac and Schrödinger too.
Second row (from below), nr 3 from the left looks like Heisenberg, I think.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Aufbauwerk 2045
First row:
On this page, http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/history/Biographies/Tinney.html, the entire first row of the photo is described.
 
Eddington! Didn't he go crackers trying to reconcile religion and relativity?