Do you recognise this material?

• Thread starter kentclub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is about a material with good tribological properties that was found in a mall and is used in Samsung kitchen ovens. The material is black with white dots, feels like rubber, and has a non-adherent surface. The working temperature is at least 300°C. The speaker is seeking ideas for identifying the material and suggests asking Samsung for information.
kentclub
Hello dear friends,

I have recently found a material that will be really interesting for its tribological properties (for my master thesis)... in the mall !
10982776_10153301795326259_7850450890602456875_o.jpg
11425214_10153301795301259_5436323274479387249_o.jpg

It is used in Samsung kitchen ovens : some kind of a joint to hold the cavity separator (a plate that divides the oven cavity in 2).

You can see the mentioned material in the pictures : black color, with little white dots. It feels like rubber (in terms of plasticity) and its surface is not adherent (slides well).
Since it is used inside an oven, the working temperature should be at least 300°C.

Any ideas ?

Thank you !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most likely way to find out exactly what it is would be to ask Samsung, the manufacturer.
I imagine they would be pleased to hear of your interest in their design, and I doubt it's something which is exclusive and a 'trade secret'

1. What is the purpose of asking if someone recognizes a material?

Asking someone if they recognize a material can help determine if they have prior knowledge or experience with it. This can provide valuable information for research or experiments involving that material.

2. How can I recognize a material?

There are a few ways to recognize a material, including its physical properties such as color, texture, and density. You can also use chemical tests or spectroscopy to identify a material based on its composition.

3. Can materials have similar properties but be different substances?

Yes, materials can have similar properties but be different substances. This is because properties are determined by the chemical makeup and arrangement of atoms in a substance, which can vary even if the properties are similar.

4. Is it important to recognize materials in everyday life?

Recognizing materials in everyday life can be important for safety reasons, such as identifying hazardous materials. It can also be useful for making informed decisions when purchasing products or understanding the properties of materials in our environment.

5. How can recognizing materials help in scientific research?

Recognizing materials can help in scientific research by providing a starting point for further investigation. If a researcher is familiar with the properties and behavior of a material, they can use that knowledge to design experiments and make predictions about its behavior in different conditions.