How Many Posts Are Required for a Rectangular Fence with 8-Meter Gaps?

In summary, to fence a rectangular lot that measures 40 meters long and 16 meters wide with posts 8 meters apart, a total of 12 posts are needed, including the ones placed at each corner. This is because there are 4 corner posts, 1 additional post on each shorter side, and 3 additional posts on each longer side. The corner posts are given special mention because they are crucial in ensuring the stability and structure of the fence.
jaytheseer
A fence is to be on posts 8 meters apart around a rectangular lot that measures 40 meters long and 16 meters wide. How many posts are needed, including the ones placed at each
corner, to fence the entire lot?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would place the corner posts first, so that is 4 posts. Now for the two shorter sides, how many additional posts are needed? How about for the two longer sides?

Hmmmm... 1 additional post on each of the shorter sides and 3 additional post on each of the longer sides?
So it will be a total of 12 posts including the 4 corner posts. Is that correct?

jaytheseer said:
Hmmmm... 1 additional post on each of the shorter sides and 3 additional post on each of the longer sides?
So it will be a total of 12 posts including the 4 corner posts. Is that correct?

No, that's not correct.

If you add 3 additional posts on each longer side, how many spaces are then created on these sides?

8 spaces on two longer sides...

Last edited:
jaytheseer said:
4 spaces...

Correct, and so if these longer sides are 40 m in length, what would the length of these 4 spaces be, assuming they are all equal?

Hello, jaytheseer!

Why are the corner posts given special mention?
Is there someone who would forget about them?

A fence is to be on posts 8 meters apart around a rectangular lot
that measures 40 meters long and 16 meters wide.
How many posts are needed, including the ones placed at each
corner, to fence the entire lot?

While you are waiting for The Fence Post Formula,
. . I would make a sketch . . .

Code:
      o---o---o---o---o---o
      |                   |
      o                   o
      |                   |
      o---o---o---o---o---o
. . . and count them.

Related to How Many Posts Are Required for a Rectangular Fence with 8-Meter Gaps?

1. What is the formula for solving this problem?

The formula for solving a problem depends on the type of problem you are trying to solve. There is no one formula that can solve all problems, so it is important to understand the specific problem and use the appropriate formula for solving it.

2. Can you provide the formula step-by-step?

Yes, I can provide the formula step-by-step. However, it would be more beneficial for you to understand the concept and steps involved in solving the problem rather than just memorizing the formula. This will help you to better understand and solve similar problems in the future.

3. How do I know which formula to use?

The formula to use depends on the type of problem you are trying to solve. To determine the appropriate formula, you should carefully read and understand the problem. If you are still unsure, you can consult a textbook or ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can I use any formula to solve this problem?

No, not all formulas can be used to solve every problem. Different types of problems require different formulas. It is important to understand the problem and use the appropriate formula for solving it.

5. I'm having trouble understanding the formula. Can you explain it in simpler terms?

Sure, I can try to explain the formula in simpler terms. However, it would be more beneficial for you to try and understand the formula by breaking it down into smaller parts and practicing with different examples. This will help you to better understand the concept and apply it to solve similar problems in the future.