Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many stars we can see from Earth?

Tags:
  1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    Greetings,
    Hi, I am new member of Physics Forums.
    Here is my question:
    How many stars can we see from Earth?
    and also If you know, How far can we see?
    Thanks!

Sincerely,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2015 #2
    See by which means?

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3
    I mean, In night, How many stars human can see.

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4
    You mean, naked eye?
    Estimates are about 6000 over whole sky, average 3000 over the hemisphere above ground.
    Furthest object commonly visible to naked eye is Andromeda Nebula, slightly over 2 million light years.

6. Dec 14, 2015 #5
    Yes, Maybe. Thank you for replying!

7. Dec 14, 2015 #6
    I don't think 6,000 is the limit. Under really dark skies, possibly tens of thousands. But most are too faint to make out. It depends on how dark the sky is. 6000 Is the average naked-eye limit, but under the rare, no light pollution desert sky, much more than that. They're just hard to make out because they're parts of the Milky Way. I don't know how many, but it varies on conditions. Average skies say 2,000. Desert Skies are uncountable.

8. Dec 14, 2015 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can see thousands upon thousands of stars in the plane of the milky way, but, they are too faint to resolve individually. It's like looking at M31. You can see it fairly easily with the naked eye. Not individual stars, just an amorphous glow from the collective luminosity of many stars.

9. Dec 14, 2015 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know about all that, usually I can only see 1, but it's really bright.

10. Dec 14, 2015 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing pretty close too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook