How many stereoisomers of C4H8Br2 have structural isomers?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 47K views
Snazzy
Messages
470
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Name the structural isomers of C4H8Br2 and remember to number the carbon atoms such that you minimize the numbers in the name.

How many stuctural isomers of C4H8Br2 are there?

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure how many there should be. So far I've found 9:
1,1-dibromobutane
1,2-dibromobutane
1,3-dibromobutane
1,4-dibromobutane
2,2-dibromobutane
2,3-dibromobutane
1,1-dibromo-2-methylpropane
1,2-dibromo-2-methylpropane
1,3-dibromo-2-methylpropaneAre there anymore that I'm missing? I can't seem to find them.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think chirality will affect the actual formula name anymore since I've taken care of all chiral forms by putting the Br atoms attached to different carbons.
 
Oh, you're right. Structural isormers, not stereoisomers.

In that case, I think you've got them all.
 
ChemIsHard said:
How many stereocentres are there?

0 correct?

No, I see at least two from the list given.
 
1,2-dibromo-2-methylpropane
1,3-dibromo-2-methylpropane

Being the two? The stereocentre is on the first carbon in both cases right?

Sorry for the numerous questions, I'm just a little confused!
 
I found four to have stereocentres:
1,2-dibromobutane
1,3-dibromobutane
2,3-dibromobutane
1,2-dibromo-2-methylpropane

Can anyone confirm this?