How many theoretical physicists are there

In summary, there are approximately 1000-1500 physics Ph.D.'s awarded each year, according to general statistics from the American Institute of Physics. It is unclear how many of these are for theoretical physics specifically. The number of applicants for a Ph.D. or masters in theoretical physics and the acceptance rate for these programs is not specified.
robertjford80
I'm not interested in becoming a theoretical physicist, that would be ridiculous, but I am curious to know how many TP are there, how many PHD degrees are awarded each year, how many applicants are there for a PHD per year and how many applicants are there for a masters in theoretical physicists versus how many are accepted.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am TP.

robertjford80 said:
I'm not interested in becoming a theoretical physicist, that would be ridiculous, but I am curious to know how many TP are there, how many PHD degrees are awarded each year, how many applicants are there for a PHD per year and how many applicants are there for a masters in theoretical physicists versus how many are accepted.

Here are some general stats

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emptrends.html

There are about 1000-1500 physics Ph.D.'s awarded each year.

What is a theoretical physicist?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to study and explain the behavior of the physical world at a fundamental level. They are interested in understanding the underlying laws and principles that govern the universe.

How many theoretical physicists are there?

It is difficult to determine an exact number as it is constantly changing. However, according to a survey by the American Institute of Physics, there were approximately 22,000 theoretical physicists in the United States in 2019.

What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

Typically, a theoretical physicist will have a PhD in physics, although some may also have degrees in mathematics or other related fields. They also often have extensive training in advanced mathematics and computer programming.

What do theoretical physicists study?

Theoretical physicists study a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, general relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and many others. They also often collaborate with experimental physicists to test and validate theories.

What career opportunities are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can pursue careers in academia, working as professors or researchers at universities and research institutions. They may also work in government agencies, such as NASA, or in the private sector, such as in the technology industry or consulting firms.