How Many Workers and Days to Make 30 Units in 2 Days?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Megasundato
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Megasundato
Messages
30
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



It takes 2 workers 3 days to make 10 units. How many workers would it take to make 30 units in 2 days?

Homework Equations



I'm not sure of what equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried techniques such as laying out the equations and using substitution, but I'm really not sure how to work this particular problem.

I don't know if this is posted on another thread, if so, I would appreciate a link very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Megasundato said:

Homework Statement



It takes 2 workers 3 days to make 10 units. How many workers would it take to make 30 units in 2 days?

Homework Equations



I'm not sure of what equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried techniques such as laying out the equations and using substitution, but I'm really not sure how to work this particular problem.

I don't know if this is posted on another thread, if so, I would appreciate a link very much.

Show us what you've tried, even if it's wrong.

Look at this in terms of what a single worker can do in one day.
 
ok. well pretty much I just set some equations up such as,

d*w=p
2w*3d=10p

But I realized this is not the right approach.

Just now in the writing of this post, I think I may have figured out how to do it. I made into a constant(k) type problem.

pretty much I put that the product varies directly with the amount of workers multiplied by the time in days.

p=kwd

I then just solved for constant, k, using the equation which gives me all the values of the variables. I got k = 5/3 and my answer for the problem was 9, which was a choice among 5, 6, 9, 18.

I do believe this the the correct method for this type of problem, but of course, please tell me if it is not. thanks.
 
I agree with your answer. Here is my reasoning.

One worker can make 5 units in 3 days, so each worker can make 5/3 unit per day.

So in 2 days, one worker can make 2*5/3 = 10/3 units. To make 30 units, you need 30/(10/3) = 30 * 3/10 = 9 workers.