How many times does the pulsar rotate in 30.0 days?

In summary, the student attempted to find the rotations per second, but when converting to seconds, got an incorrect answer.
praecox

Homework Statement

I have this problem for my homework:

Time standards are now based on atomic clocks. A promising second standard is based on pulsars, which are rotating neutron stars (highly compact stars consisting only of neutrons). Some rotate at a rate that is highly stable, sending out a radio beacon that sweeps briefly across Earth once with each rotation, like a lighthouse beacon. Suppose a pulsar rotates once every 1.610 431 448 872 75 ± 4 ms, where the trailing ± 4 indicates the uncertainty in the last decimal place (it does not mean ± 4 ms).

How many times does the pulsar rotate in 30.0 days?

Homework Equations

This should just be a basic conversion, but I'm doing something wrong here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted to convert the rotation period to seconds by dividing by 1000 first (1 ms = 1 x 10^-3 s, yes?). Then I calculate how many seconds are in 28 days:
(30 x 24 (hours/day) x 60 (minutes/hour) x 60 (seconds/minute)) = 2592000 seconds
I thought I could just take the number of rotations per second and multiply it by how many seconds are in 30 days.

0.001610413... x 2592000 = 4174.19 rotations in 28 days.

I submitted this answer to my online homework and it was marked wrong. It said the answer is 1.61 x 10^9.

Can anyone please show me what I did wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units of your answer. You have 1.61x10-3 s/rotation times 2592000 s, so the units come out to be s2/rotation. How should you combine the numbers to get just "rotations" as the units?

You should also check your answer to make sure it's reasonable. You found about 4000 rotations, and you were given that one rotation takes about 1 ms. That's equivalent to about 4 seconds, which is a far cry from a month. Something clearly went wrong.

Thanks for replying, Vela. I didn't realize how off track I am. ack.
So it could work to find the rotations/sec. Then that "sec" would cancel the one from the total seconds in 30 days, yes?
Just to make sure I'm doing it right: (I realized I was multiplying wrong earlier)
[and just to clarify: ms is millisecond, right? so .001 seconds?]
1610.413 rotation/s x 259200 seconds (in 30 days) ... so that would boil it down to just rotations, but I'm still getting a different answer: 4.174 x 10^8.
:\
any ideas?

You're not flipping the number correctly. You have

[tex]\frac{1.61\times10^{-3}~\textrm{s}}{1~\textrm{rotation}}[/tex]

When you flip it over, you get[tex]\frac{1~\textrm{rotation}}{1.61\times10^{-3}~\textrm{s}} = 621~\frac{\textrm{rotations}}{\textrm{s}}[/tex]

Make sense?

AHA! Thank you so much! I had a feeling I was messing up something like that.
Thanks again, Vela! :)

1. What is a pulsar rotation problem?

A pulsar rotation problem refers to the phenomenon of pulsars, which are rapidly rotating neutron stars that emit beams of electromagnetic radiation, appearing to slow down over time. This has puzzled scientists since the discovery of pulsars in 1967 and has been the subject of ongoing research.

2. Why do pulsars slow down over time?

The slowing down of pulsars is caused by a combination of factors, including the emission of energy in the form of radiation, the interaction of the pulsar with its surrounding environment, and the transfer of energy from the pulsar's rotation to its magnetic field. This is known as the "spin-down" process.

3. How do scientists measure the rotation of pulsars?

Scientists use a technique called pulsar timing to measure the rotation of pulsars. This involves observing the pulsar's radio emissions and measuring the time between pulses. By tracking these pulses over time, scientists can determine the pulsar's rotation rate and any changes in its rotation over time.

4. What are some theories about the cause of the pulsar rotation problem?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the pulsar rotation problem. One theory suggests that the pulsar's magnetic field is gradually weakening, causing it to slow down. Another theory proposes that the pulsar is emitting a wind of particles that is carrying away energy and slowing down its rotation. Other theories involve the effects of general relativity and interactions with other objects in the pulsar's environment.

5. Why is the pulsar rotation problem important for scientific research?

The pulsar rotation problem is important because it provides valuable insights into the nature of pulsars and how they evolve over time. It also has implications for our understanding of fundamental physics, such as the behavior of matter under extreme conditions and the effects of strong magnetic fields. By studying the pulsar rotation problem, scientists can gain a better understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it.