How many would vote for equality, (all men are equal) in status and

1. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

How many would vote for equality, (all men are equal) in status and buying power?

2. jcsd
  3. Re: Equality

No. This is obviouly not true. All men (and women) are not equal. Should all workers be paid the same though some work harder and produce more and better results? Why should the good worker be penalised?

4. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

Re: Equality

So then, should the good worker help the less so?

5. Evo

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by help? I will answers a co-worker's questions, but I won't do their work for them.

6. Re: Equality

That depends on your definitions of both `good' and `help'.

If by `good' you mean `skilled', and by `help' you mean `teach', then I would say yes.

If by `good' you mean `motivated' or `hard working', and by `help' you mean `do it for them', then I would say no.

7. Re: Equality

What about the other pemutations NeoDevin?

8. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

Is this then the fine line between help and help to support?

9. Re: Equality

Yes, we could permute them otherwise, or combine them, or have the skilled helping the lazy, or the motivated helping the unskilled, etc. ad nauseum, I was just trying to illustrate that the question was ill posed, and my answer would depend upon clarification.

10. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't see this a fine line. Answering the question - "How do I do X"? Or doing X for them. I don't do X.

I have often had to mentor new employees. I'd be happy to answer their question the first time, not quite as happy the second time. The third time they asked the same question, I told them to figure it out themselves.

One new hire was driving my boss nuts with constant questions. I told her to send him to me. He'd never bookmark pages he needed, he wouldn't keep notes on instructions, every time he had to do something he'd come over and ask instead of trying to figure it out. I took him aside and said "Bill, have you heard "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". I'm going to teach you to fish. He got the message, and took a bunch of notes that he pinned up all over his office. He didn't last too long.

I'm not a nice person. :devil:

11. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

The question was posed in vague way on purpose to find out what people mean by equality and if they would wish it or not.

12. Re: Equality

I can see two ways to interpret that statement.

1) Buying power as in the authority to buy anything. If any rich person had the ability to get their hands on nukes or other things that regular people are not supposed to be able to buy, then I would not support that.

2) That everyone has a near equal pay. I do not support this as it has been emphasized many times that if this were to happen, then the inclination to actually make something of yourself in life is lowered, and the drop in work ethic and rise in school dropouts would be huge. If everyone knows that they will make the same as the next guy, then they ask themselves why they go to school, and simply drop out. This would be devastating on almost all angles.

13. Re: Equality

Good work, jeans, You figured out quickly why communism could not work.

Evo, why would you be not a nice person if you gave a person three chances?

14. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

Communism is a horrible thought.

15. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I support equality to achieve status and buying power, but then it is up to the individual to put the effort in to actually achieve it. In other words, nobody gets a special privilege to get something without working for it, but if you put in the work AND it's quality work, anyone doing that should get equal status and buying power for the amount and quality of work done.

16. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 17,938
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I heard it as "Build a man a fire and he's warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." :devil:

17. Re: Equality

BREAKING NEWS: The world isn't black and white! People are having trouble with moral ambiguity!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?