1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How mass change if 30M above earth surface?

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    There is one question from my physics HW which asks "By what percentage does your rest mass increase when you climb 30 m to the top of a ten-story building?"

Please help me with this problem.
    I don't know what equation to use to figure out the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi,
    Rest mass is an intrinsic property of matter. It doesn't change as you climb up any building.
    By the way your question shouldn't be asked in the "Advanced Physics" forum. :redface:

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    There is one question from my physics HW which asks "By what percentage does your rest mass increase when you climb 30 m to the top of a ten-story building?"

Please help me with this problem.
    I don't know what equation to use to figure out the answer.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think your rest mass might change?

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    it's what the question ask for

7. Dec 9, 2008 #6
    No Steven you are wrong.
    Dick is trying to get you to express your understanding of what rest mass is.
    The question does not ask you this; it merely asks you how much it might change.
    Once you have a clear understanding of what rest mass is then you will know the answer to your question.
    Try and answer Dick's question first and if you still don't get it we can tell you the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?