1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs How Much do Rankings Matter? (Math PhD)

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I'm trying to decide where to go for graduate school, and I'm wondering how much attention I should pay to the rankings. Is a top 10 significantly better than a top 20, 20 better than a 30, 30 better than 40 etc.

My 5 - 10 year plan is a good post doc(s), and to at least try to end up at a research university. How important is the school you attend?

How much do rankings matter for industry jobs?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2
    First of all, what are you studying? How far do you plan to go (M.S., PhD, another professional degree such as an MBA, ME, etc.) ? I don't have all the answers, but more information would greatly help those that do :D

EDIT: Sorry; missed the information you put into the title. In that case, what are your career goals? If you want to be a professor at one of those top universities, a PhD from a top university will be necessary. Just wanna teach high school math? Not so necessary.

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    After a phd, I would like to get a good post doc, and then my goal would be to land a tenure track position at a top university (say an AMS group 1). To do this would I need a phd from a top 10, 20, 30 etc?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook