How Much do Rankings Matter? (Math PhD)

• Programs
  • Thread starter epsilon>0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter Phd
In summary: Yes, a PhD from a top 10, 20, 30 etc. university is necessary in order to land a tenure track position at a top university.
epsilon>0
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide where to go for graduate school, and I'm wondering how much attention I should pay to the rankings. Is a top 10 significantly better than a top 20, 20 better than a 30, 30 better than 40 etc.

My 5 - 10 year plan is a good post doc(s), and to at least try to end up at a research university. How important is the school you attend?

How much do rankings matter for industry jobs?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what are you studying? How far do you plan to go (M.S., PhD, another professional degree such as an MBA, ME, etc.) ? I don't have all the answers, but more information would greatly help those that do :D

EDIT: Sorry; missed the information you put into the title. In that case, what are your career goals? If you want to be a professor at one of those top universities, a PhD from a top university will be necessary. Just want to teach high school math? Not so necessary.

daric soldar said:
First of all, what are you studying? How far do you plan to go (M.S., PhD, another professional degree such as an MBA, ME, etc.) ? I don't have all the answers, but more information would greatly help those that do :D

EDIT: Sorry; missed the information you put into the title. In that case, what are your career goals? If you want to be a professor at one of those top universities, a PhD from a top university will be necessary. Just want to teach high school math? Not so necessary.

After a phd, I would like to get a good post doc, and then my goal would be to land a tenure track position at a top university (say an AMS group 1). To do this would I need a phd from a top 10, 20, 30 etc?

1. How are rankings determined for Math PhD programs?

Rankings for Math PhD programs are determined by various factors, such as the quality of faculty, research output, funding opportunities, and student outcomes. These rankings are often compiled and published by reputable organizations, such as U.S. News & World Report and QS World University Rankings.

2. How important are rankings when choosing a Math PhD program?

Rankings can be a helpful tool when choosing a Math PhD program, as they can provide insight into the overall reputation and quality of a program. However, it is important to also consider other factors such as research interests, faculty expertise, and funding opportunities in making a decision.

3. Do higher ranked programs guarantee a better education?

While higher ranked programs may have a reputation for excellence, it is not a guarantee that they will provide a better education or research experience. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects of a program before making a decision, rather than solely relying on rankings.

4. Can rankings change over time?

Yes, rankings can change over time as different factors are considered and data is updated. It is important to stay informed and regularly check for any changes in rankings when considering a Math PhD program.

5. Are rankings the only factor to consider when applying to Math PhD programs?

No, rankings should not be the only factor considered when applying to Math PhD programs. It is important to also consider factors such as research opportunities, faculty expertise, location, and personal fit with the program. Rankings should be used as one piece of information in the decision-making process.