How Much EDTA Is Needed to Neutralize Calcium in a 44-Gallon Drum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim4592
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Complex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Jim4592
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) is a water-soluble compound that readily combines with metals, such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. The molecular formula for EDTA is C10N2O8H16. Assume one EDTA molecule complexes (associates with) one metal atom.

A factory produces an aqueous waste that contains 20 mg/L calcium and collects the waste in 44-gallon drums. What mass of EDTA would be need to be added to each drum to completely complex all of the calcium in the barrel.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really not sure how to go about this one, i started off trying a few things but it ended up at a dead end...here's what I got so far:

0.02 g/L * 1 mol Ca / 40.078 g Ca * X mol EDTA / 1 mol Ca * 294.24 g EDTA / 1 mol EDTA

I realized this wasn't getting me any closer to an answer so that's why I'm asking for any help you guys can offer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org