Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much energy radiates from Jupiter?

1. May 6, 2015 #1

Ans

How much energy radiate Jupiter?
    I tried to find it, but not found.
    And how much energy it receive from Sun?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you find its surface temperature and the Stefan-Boltzmann law? Jupiter is not a black body, but its (infrared) albedo should be listed somewhere as well.
    You can take the solar intensity at Earth and scale it to the distance and size of Jupiter - again with the (visible) albedo to get the absorbed fraction.

4. May 7, 2015 #3

Ans

I know it can be done. However, such result would not be precise, because some area have lower temperature, because of night or hurricanes, some area with higher temperatues. So I guess such approach can give only order of magnitude estimation.
    Luminocity of Sun is described in many places, thermal balance of Earth too. I am sure Jupiter's thermal balance is also well described, but not know where it is described.
    I did it before start post, and even calculated it in mind, without calculator :)
    However, it is also very imprecise result.

5. May 7, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you are interested in more precise numbers, looking for "jupiter energy balance" at google leads to tons of publications.

6. May 7, 2015 #5

Ans

Thanks, seems as I used incorrect phrase for search

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook