Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much lime juice to be used iso. citric acid?

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1
    How much lime juice to be used iso. citric acid??

Dear all,
    I'm now trying to make mozzarella cheese. The recipe wrote that use 1 1/4 tsp. for a gallon of milk (I think US gallon). The problem is I can't find citric acid right now. If I wanna try lime juice instead of it, how much of lime juice do I have to use for 1 1/4 tsp. of citric acid??

FYI, acidity is what allows the curds to stretch: no acidity, no stretch but, too much acidity make curds become hopeless mess .

Thanks all.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: How much lime juice to be used iso. citric acid??

Values that you can find (or that anyone can give you here) won't be accurate, as amount of citric acid present depends on the ripeness of the fruit and on many other factors. Best values should be given as "usually something between x and y".

4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

If you can assume the value of the unknown parameters, can you show me how to solve the problem?

Or another question, If I want to reduce pH of 1 Litre of milk from X.x(I don't know pH of milk) to be around 5.6 by using citric acid (powder type) -- How many grams of citric acid do I have to use?? You can assume any parameter you want. Feel free to let me know things. Very thanks to you.:redface:

5. Aug 21, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What do you know about the concentration and how it is related to volume of solution and amount of dissolved substance? Try to read concentration lectures, basically you will find everything you may need there - but feel free to ask if something is not clear.

There is no simple answer to that question - best approach is to use pH meter or pH strips. A lot depends on the initial pH (which can be already around 5.6 that you ask for).

--

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5

Thank you Borek. I'll work it out and I may ask you later.:redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook