How Much Money Will Carlos Have After Withdrawing from His Roth IRA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bap902
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Money Taxes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
bap902
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Carlos is 60 years old, is in the 32% marginal tax bracket, and has $544,000 in his Roth IRA. How much money will he have after taxes if he withdraws all the money from the account?


Homework Equations


(1-tax bracket)x(amount)=earnings after income tax

The Attempt at a Solution


I did (1-.32)(544000)=369920, but I know that's not the right answer. What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
How do you know that's not the right answer?

It's a homework problem on a web-based program that tells you whether or not you are right.
 
I hate those things! Assuming your formula is correct, your answer is completely correct. Perhaps the web based program is expecting the answer as "$369,920" and is counting it wrong because of either the missing "$" or the missing ",".