How much physics is there is kinesiology?

• Thread starter TAN6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there is a little bit of physics involved in kinesiology, mainly concerning fluids and levers. However, the more valuable aspect of taking a physics course is the development of analytical skills which are useful in kinesiology, such as problem-solving and data analysis. It is recommended to take physics in high school as it may be more difficult to pick up in university.
TAN6
I'm interested in taking kinesiology in university. As I look at the requirments for each university they usually require English, 2 U Math's, Bio, Chem, Exercise science and they list Physics as recommended. I'm currently taking grade 11 physics and I am doing well and I like it mainly becasue my teacher makes physics fun (weird eh?) I don't think I am going to take physics next year so my question is has anyone taken kinesiology in university and found that there is a lot of physics involved? Would I miss out on anything by not taking physics next year?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always easier to take physics in high school than to try to pick it up in university when you're a lot busier... If you're worried about having a heavy course load if you take physics in grade 12, my advice to you is that university will be a lot more strenuous - you may as well take the physics course next year and give yourself more time to absorb the material.

There is a little bit of physics immediately relevant to kinesiology - mostly involving fluids and levers. I had a flatmate in kinesiology and we had a running joke about analyzing which muscles we used to lift things and the forces and torques involved.

The more valuable part of a physics course will be the analytical skills you pick up - physics requires you to learn how to look at problems in different ways. Doing the mathematics in a physics course is good training for the mathematics you will want for kinesiology when you want to describe how efficiently your body uses oxygen or how drugs work. Physics also teaches you how to deal with experimental data.

Kinesiology is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, and exercise science. While physics is not a major component of kinesiology, it does play a role in understanding the mechanics of human movement and the forces involved in different physical activities.

In terms of university requirements, it is common for kinesiology programs to recommend or require a physics course as it can provide a foundation for understanding the physical principles involved in human movement. However, it is not uncommon for students to be successful in kinesiology without taking physics in high school. If you are doing well in physics and enjoy it, it may be beneficial to continue taking it in high school to have a strong foundation for future courses in kinesiology.

That being said, many universities offer introductory physics courses specifically designed for kinesiology students, which may cover relevant topics in a more applied and practical manner. These courses may also be easier to understand and relate to for students with a background in kinesiology.

Ultimately, whether or not you take physics next year will not necessarily determine your success in a kinesiology program. However, having a basic understanding of physics can certainly be beneficial in understanding the principles of human movement and may make certain concepts easier to grasp. I would recommend speaking with an academic advisor at your chosen university to discuss your options and determine if taking physics would be beneficial for your specific program.

1. How is physics related to kinesiology?

Physics and kinesiology are closely related as kinesiology is the study of human movement and physics is the science that explains the laws of motion and forces acting on objects. In kinesiology, physics is used to understand the mechanics of human movement and how the body responds to external forces.

2. What specific areas of physics are important in kinesiology?

In kinesiology, the areas of physics that are most important include biomechanics, kinetics, and kinematics. Biomechanics deals with the forces and movements of the body, kinetics focuses on the forces that cause motion, and kinematics studies the motion of the body without considering the forces involved.

3. How does the study of physics benefit kinesiology?

The study of physics is crucial in kinesiology as it helps explain and understand the mechanics of human movement. This knowledge can be applied to optimize athletic performance, prevent injuries, and design effective rehabilitation programs.

4. Are there any famous examples of how physics has influenced kinesiology?

Yes, one famous example is the use of biomechanics in swimming. By analyzing the forces acting on the body and the flow of water, scientists and coaches can design techniques and equipment to help swimmers move through the water more efficiently and effectively.

5. Can someone study kinesiology without a background in physics?

While having a background in physics can be helpful in studying kinesiology, it is not a requirement. Many kinesiology programs offer introductory courses in physics to ensure that students have the necessary knowledge to understand the principles and concepts used in the field.