1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much physics is there is kinesiology?

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    I'm interested in taking kinesiology in university. As I look at the requirments for each university they usually require English, 2 U Math's, Bio, Chem, Exercise science and they list Physics as recommended. I'm currently taking grade 11 physics and Im doing well and I like it mainly becasue my teacher makes physics fun (weird eh?) I don't think Im going to take physics next year so my question is has anyone taken kinesiology in university and found that there is a lot of physics involved? Would I miss out on anything by not taking physics next year?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    It's always easier to take physics in high school than to try to pick it up in university when you're a lot busier.... If you're worried about having a heavy course load if you take physics in grade 12, my advice to you is that university will be a lot more strenuous - you may as well take the physics course next year and give yourself more time to absorb the material.

There is a little bit of physics immediately relevant to kinesiology - mostly involving fluids and levers. I had a flatmate in kinesiology and we had a running joke about analyzing which muscles we used to lift things and the forces and torques involved.

The more valuable part of a physics course will be the analytical skills you pick up - physics requires you to learn how to look at problems in different ways. Doing the mathematics in a physics course is good training for the mathematics you will want for kinesiology when you want to describe how efficiently your body uses oxygen or how drugs work. Physics also teaches you how to deal with experimental data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?