How much would you pay to play this fair coin flipping game?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the conversation discusses a game where the reward for getting a head is 2^n dollars, but the probability of getting a head decreases with each flip. The expected value of the game is found to be an indefinite amount, leading to the question of who would want to pay to play this game. Different approaches are discussed, including one where the expected value is found to be 40 dollars and another where it is found to be 41 dollars. Ultimately, it is concluded that this is a famous paradox in which probability theory does not accurately predict the outcome.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 12.50.22 AM.png

I feel like there is something missing in my solutions, because the answers are coming out weird.

(a)

The reward for getting a head is ##2^n## dollars, the number of flips ##n## it takes to get the first heads.

the probability to get a head in the ##n##th flip is ##\frac{1}{2^n}##

so the expected value of the game is

$$E(X)=\frac{1}{2}\cdot 2+\frac{1}{4}\cdot 2^3+\frac{1}{8}\cdot 2^3+\frac{1}{16}\cdot 2^4+\cdots$$

$$E(X)=\sum_{i=1}^\infty 1 \Rightarrow \text{ the sum diverges}$$

Who would want to pay an indefinite amount of money to play this game...?

(b)

$$E(X)=\sum_{i=1}^{40} 1 = 40$$

By this logic, I would pay no more than 40 dollars to play this game

The probability of going more than 40 rounds is

$$P(X>40)=\sum_{i=41}^\infty\frac{1}{2^i}\approx 0$$

Yet, the expectation value drastically differs from the value in (a)

(c)

$$E(X)=\sum_{i=1}^{40} 1 + \sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2^n} =40+1 =41$$

I'd pay 41 dollars to play this game

(d)

no one has that much monay. that's too many zeros.

It turns out this is famous problem called St. Petersburg Paradox. - it seems to be a rare example of when probability theory isn't rational for predicting the outcome, since the player is probably only going to win a modest amount of money in this game.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think all of your answers are correct here.

Likes docnet

1. How does the fair coin flipping game work?

The fair coin flipping game involves flipping a coin and guessing whether it will land on heads or tails. If the guess is correct, the player wins a predetermined amount of money. If the guess is incorrect, the player loses the money.

2. What is the probability of winning in the fair coin flipping game?

The probability of winning in the fair coin flipping game is 50%. This is because there are only two possible outcomes - heads or tails - and each outcome has an equal chance of occurring.

3. How much money can be won in the fair coin flipping game?

The amount of money that can be won in the fair coin flipping game depends on the rules set by the game. Some games may have a fixed amount while others may have a variable amount based on the player's bet.

4. Is it worth paying to play the fair coin flipping game?

This ultimately depends on the individual's personal preferences and risk tolerance. Some may see it as a fun and entertaining game with a 50% chance of winning, while others may not want to risk losing money.

5. Are there any strategies to increase the chances of winning in the fair coin flipping game?

Since the outcome of a coin flip is random, there is no guaranteed strategy to increase the chances of winning in the fair coin flipping game. However, some may believe in certain betting techniques or superstitions, but these do not affect the probability of winning.