How not to get stuck up with one approach?

In summary, the person is trying to find a way to solve their problem of being stubborn and not adapting to the situation. They suggest exercising, meditation, and no coffee. If the problem persists, they suggest running in circles, screaming, and shouting. If that doesn't work, they suggest accepting that they have failed, and moving on.
n.karthick
Hi,
I am used to do things independently in my life and rarely takes the advice of others. The one important problem I often face is, whenever I try a method i always stick to it even if it doesn't work. I try to fight with the same approach to find solution to the problem in hand. Though I am aware of alternate approaches, I can't make my mind to drop the present approach. Something inside me says "why not try little more harder and don't give up". So I often waste time and resources end up in failures (though few times my persistence paid me back heavily). Is it a psychological problem? How can I change myself to adapt to the situation and not being stubborn.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you see of alternative approach, that seems faster and efficient, then just tell to yourself that the alternative approach too is your own approach. You don't need to walk to your office when you have already earned a car.
But, if the alternative approach is walking to your office, and the main approach is driving to it and the problem is car not starting, then it all depends upon how much free you are and how important is office.
I myself fall on such situations occasionally.
The reason why we get stuck on our approach is that, if we are able to repair the car, then it would be beneficial for future too. Walking is one time solution.

n.karthick said:
Hi,
I am used to do things independently in my life and rarely takes the advice of others. The one important problem I often face is, whenever I try a method i always stick to it even if it doesn't work. I try to fight with the same approach to find solution to the problem in hand. Though I am aware of alternate approaches, I can't make my mind to drop the present approach. Something inside me says "why not try little more harder and don't give up". So I often waste time and resources end up in failures (though few times my persistence paid me back heavily). Is it a psychological problem? How can I change myself to adapt to the situation and not being stubborn.

I'd suggest exercise, meditation, no coffee, and good shrink. Otherwise, this always works for me:

When in trouble,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout!

it's an ego problem. you have to let go of your pride.

Proton Soup said:
it's an ego problem. you have to let go of your pride.
That is a good method.
Don't put high demand on yourself. Indeed believe that you aren't the smartest of the person. If you were you would have already solved it far back. So, you need to take a step back and not be stubborn.
Say to yourself "Hmm! I tried that way but failed. So, I have to go this way"
You need to accept that you failed. You indeed did fail. So, you need to acknowledge the truth and moveone.
:) (Just Thinking out loud)

1. How do I prevent myself from getting stuck with one approach?

To avoid getting stuck with one approach, it is important to keep an open mind and be willing to try different approaches. This can involve seeking advice from colleagues or experts in the field, conducting thorough research, and being open to new ideas and perspectives.

2. Why is it important to avoid getting stuck with one approach?

Being stuck with one approach can limit your creativity and innovation as a scientist. It can also prevent you from finding the best solution to a problem. By exploring different approaches, you can expand your knowledge and potentially make new discoveries.

3. How can I ensure that I am not getting stuck with one approach?

To ensure you are not getting stuck with one approach, it is important to regularly reflect on your methods and strategies. Ask yourself if there are any alternative approaches you could try and if your current approach is still effective. Seeking feedback from peers and mentors can also help prevent you from becoming too attached to one approach.

4. What are some signs that I am stuck with one approach?

Some signs that you may be stuck with one approach include feeling frustrated or stagnant in your research, being resistant to feedback or new ideas, and continuously using the same methods without considering alternative approaches.

5. How can I break out of a rut and try new approaches?

To break out of a rut and try new approaches, it can be helpful to step back and assess your goals and objectives. This can help you identify areas where a different approach may be beneficial. Additionally, seeking out new perspectives and collaborating with others can help introduce new ideas and approaches to your work.