How Should We Express the Amount of Money Sandy Received?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter DawnC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Money
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
DawnC
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Problem that I am not sure that I am doing right

One hundred dollars was divided between Ann and Sandy. If Ann received X dollars, write expression for the amount that Sandy would relieved.

Would it be 200 - X or 200/X?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given that $X$ represents the amount Ann is to receive, let's let $Y$ be the amount Sandy will receive. Since the total amount (in dollars) to be divided between the two is 100, we then know the sum of the two amounts is 100:

$$X+Y=100$$

Now, solve for $Y$. :D
 
DawnC said:
Problem that I am not sure that I am doing right

One hundred dollars was divided between Ann and Sandy. If Ann received X dollars, write expression for the amount that Sandy would relieved.

Would it be 200 - X or 200/X?

Both the options given by you are wrong.
Out of 100, if Ann received $x$ dollars, Sandy received the remaining dollars (obviously). Removing $x$ dollars from 100 will give the remaining dollars.
An expression for the dollars that Sandy received will be $100-x$ .
I have posted this solution because I don't agree with Mark for one small reason. The question says "give an expression for amount left with Sandy". But, Mark has given an equation.
 
phymat said:
...I have posted this solution because I don't agree with Mark for one small reason. The question says "give an expression for amount left with Sandy". But, Mark has given an equation.

I was helping the OP solve the problem, not simply do it for them. :D