How to add legends with 6 or more discrete entries?

  • Topic: Mathematica 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Van Ladmon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Discrete
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Van Ladmon
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I want to add legends in ArrayPlot and my code is like this:
Code:
Table[ArrayPlot[
  FiniteGroupData[{"CyclicGroup", i}, "MultiplicationTable"],
  PlotLegends -> Range[i],
  ColorRules -> {x_ -> ColorData["Rainbow"][(x/i)]}],
{i, 1, 10}]
In the first 5 graphs this work well, but after the 6th graph these legends stick together like BarLegend and become somewhat strange. How can I deal with this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless there is a maximum number of elements in a legend, and I couldn't find anything about that in the documentation, it looks like a bug.

If you try to use non-numerical labels, the legend simply disappears when you reach 6
Code:
ArrayPlot[FiniteGroupData[{"CyclicGroup", 6}, "MultiplicationTable"], 
PlotLegends -> {"a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"},
ColorRules -> {x_ -> ColorData["Rainbow"][(x/6)]}]
 
DrClaude said:
Unless there is a maximum number of elements in a legend, and I couldn't find anything about that in the documentation, it looks like a bug.

If you try to use non-numerical labels, the legend simply disappears when you reach 6
Code:
ArrayPlot[FiniteGroupData[{"CyclicGroup", 6}, "MultiplicationTable"],
PlotLegends -> {"a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"},
ColorRules -> {x_ -> ColorData["Rainbow"][(x/6)]}]
It indeed looks like a bug but is there any relationship between PlotLegend and ChartLegends? ChartLegends work well in a chart when there's more than 5 of them.
 
Van Ladmon said:
It indeed looks like a bug but is there any relationship between PlotLegend and ChartLegends?
I have no idea. You should submit a bug report to Wolfram.