• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to avoid an egg being cracked when dropped

• Thread starter a129
  • Start date
  • Tags
    momentum
a129

Homework Statement

An egg is being dropped onto a wooden block. The egg cracks after an impact. The velocity of the egg just before the impact is 5m s^-1.

Give two suggestions and explain on how you would avoid the egg from cracking from the same height

Homework Equations

Momentum:
F=ma,
F= m[(v-u)/t]
..= (mv-mu)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer:

1. Drop the egg on a cushion surface. The cushion will absorb the momentum by increasing the time of collision

2. Drop the egg from the same height in outer space. The lack of gravity will reduce the velocity, thus reducing the total impulsive force.

I'm confident in my first answer, but I'm not sure for the second one. Do you guys have any ideas or tips? Thanks for reading

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2. Drop the egg from the same height in outer space. The lack of gravity will reduce the velocity, thus reducing the total impulsive force.
You can't "drop" an egg where there is no gravity. If you hold it in your hand and let go, it will stay where it is. If you give it some intial velocity, it will keep on going.

Likes a129
berkeman
Mentor
Pretty creative! :smile:
You can't "drop" an egg where there is no gravity. If you hold it in your hand and let go, it will stay where it is. If you give it some intial velocity, it will keep on going.
Agreed, so answer #2 should be changed to an ISS astronaut dropping dropping the egg. @a129 -- why does that change the situation? :smile:

Likes a129