1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to become a university professor?

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody, I am sure that there are lots of people like me here who like to think (about abstract things such as mathematics etc) very often. In fact, whenever I get an opportunity, I just start scribbling in a notebook about theorems, proofs and all that.

So here's the thing I was wondering what exact path should I take to become a university professor (maths and/or physics). I know the basic things to do like BSc, MSc and then your Phd but is there anything else that I should know?

And I want to tell anyone reading this to please bear with me because I know I am being rather naive thinking that I could in fact become one (I think I made it sound rather easy above). I know it's not easy and it's meant for extremely smart people but I really loathe a future in which I will be doing anything else for a living.

( I forgot to mention that I am currently in high school. )

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Have you seen the thread at the top of this forum, "Who wants to be a mathematician?"

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Mar 2, 2013 #4
    Oops, sorry didn't think about that.. That's a good idea; am gonna post there. Thanks.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook